Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bobby's Story, Part 4

BOBBY TODAY
Today Bobby is alive and very well. He gets dog food with half a hot dog cut up in it, or some other goody mixed in with it, just like the other 2 dogs. He gets treats throughout the day when he comes in from outside, just like the other 2 dogs. And he gets a little something from the table when we’re eating. I don’t feed him from the table, but mom does. He has a way of begging that’s hard to resist.
He and Kaylee play and chase each other around the house during the day. In the evening the both of them can be found lying on my mother’s bed with her watching TV. When I have all of them outside, I will sometimes let him off of his leash, and he’ll run around with Missy.
At times I think I should have named him “Happy” or “Piss and Vinegar”. That little guy’s tail is always wagging and it seems like there is always a smile on his face. I can go outside for 5 minutes and come back, and he runs up and jumps up at me with his little tail going. Every morning when I let him out of his cage he runs up to me, wanting to kiss me and be petted. He’s always happy to see everybody, I’ve never heard him growl at anybody. And he’s always ready to play. I’ve never seen a dog with so much energy. Mom says that God sent him to us as a gift; that He sent us a little angel, and I think she might be right.
The first few months that we had him, he would cry when I put him to bed. Then I would have to take him out of his cage and hold him until he relaxed and started to go to sleep. I would put him back in his cage, and he would sleep for the rest of the night.
One sad thing about him was the first couple of months that we had him he would take a nap and start dreaming. Then I guess the dream would turn bad, and he would let out a horrible scream. He would wake up screaming and come running over to one of us. We would hold him until he calmed down, and he would be alright for the rest of the day. Fortunately this only happened a few times, and he hasn’t had any unpleasant dreams since.
Just recently he has started to spend some time on our laps. It used to be that he would jump up on us, lick our faces a little bit and then jump down. Now he’ll get up on our laps and go to sleep. I think that he has really started to trust us, and I hope he knows that we’ll never let anything bad happen to him again. I think he realizes that he has a home for the rest of his life. He will never be abandoned or discarded. He will always have a warm bed to sleep in, good food to eat, treats to eat, someone to play with, and people that will love, protect, and care for him. And pretzels. Mom will always give him pretzels.

No comments: